Veterans Education Benefits

PWSC veterans at college event

Welcome Veterans!

We at PWSC would like to thank you for your time in service and for the commitment and sacrifice that you have shown to our country. Know we appreciate all that you have done and look forward to working with you as you further pursue your education.

Education Benefits

The following information is to help you as you use your GI Bill® benefits. If you have any questions or need any help please contact the School Certifying Official at 907-834-1645 or email at

Student checklist:

  1. Apply using If you are a new student and want to start your VA Benefits, you will need to register for your benefits with the VA. Submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility issued from the VA by the end of the semester.  You can send these forms by email, fax, in person and by mail.
  2. Apply for Admissions at Prince William Sound College. You must be fully admitted into an approved degree or certificate program prior to requesting certification of your benefits. Apply online at UAOnline.
  3. Register for classes. Meet with an advisor and register for all classes you plan to attend before requesting a certificate of your benefits.  Academic Advising is required and placement tests may be necessary; be aware that prior credit earned may transfer in as required or elective credits. Schedule an in-person or over-the-phone advising appointment by emailing or calling 907.834.1600.
  4. Submit a Request for Certification Form. Every semester you register for classes you will need to turn in the Request for Certification Form.  It is your responsibility to notify PWSC’s Certifying Official of any changes to your schedule after you have submitted this form.  Failure to notify may result in charges from the school and/or the VA. You can send this form by email, fax, in person and by mail.
  5. Self-Verify (Chapter 30, 1606 and 1607). Once your classes have been certified (you should receive an email initiated through the Department of Veteran Affairs to the email you provided).  If you are using Chapters 30, 1606 and 1607 benefits you should receive your payments after you call and self-verify at the end of the month (please allow 3-5 days for processing). Please see the Self Verification Information Sheet for details. If you are using Chapters 31, 33, and 35 benefits you do not need to self-verify.

Students using VA educational benefits must apply for admission to a degree or certificate program at PWSC. In accordance with federal regulations, PWSC must report this information to the VA, along with information regarding student enrollment, grades, and academic progress. Students must also maintain satisfactory academic progress of a 2.0 GPA. A GPA that fails to reach the 2.0 minimum will be reported to the DVA so that proper actions can be taken. For the most current regulations and policies in DVA education benefits visit their website at


Using Post 9-11/ Chapter 33 benefits: Certification and Federal Aid Disbursement Process Reminders

For Chapter 33 recipients, UAA submits two certifications to the VA each term. An initial certification is submitted to notify the VA of term dates and credit hours to kick-start your BAH and book stipend benefits and a final certification is submitted after the add/drop deadline to report tuition and fee amounts for certified courses. This is to avoid large overpayments or underpayments made to UAA if changes to students’ schedules are done during add/drop period.

Tuition and fees will appear as an outstanding balance on your student account until payment for certified courses is received but most Chapter 33 students’ accounts are flagged for deferment so that no late fees are assessed to tuition and fee balances pending VA payment.

Note: Chapter 33 recipients who have been rated at less than 100% eligibility, who are taking coursework inapplicable to degree plan, or who have charges on their accounts that will not be paid by the VA (bookstore charges, parking permits, housing and meal plans, etc.) are required to make payment by the payment deadline to avoid a late fee.

Students who receive federal financial aid may receive multiple refunds each semester. Students whose federal financial aid exceed their bill may receive a refund prior to the add/drop deadline. After the add/drop deadline, when we submit your final certification, accounting services will refund financial aid based on the anticipated amount we expect from the VA. UAA will use your federal aid refunds for charges that will not be paid by the VA, to the extent allowable under law. As a result of the refund, a balance due will appear on your student account equal to the pending VA payment.

Transfer of Entitlement

Active duty members may now have the option to transfer entitlement to spouses and children. Please be aware that there may be additional service obligations required to take advantage of this option. For more information and to begin the application process, please go to the VA Transfer of Entitlement website. To apply, you must use Internet Explorer.

Fry Scholarship

The VA has created a new program under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® for the children of an Active Duty member who died in the line of duty. The Fry Scholarship was created to assist certain children of Active Duty members who died in the line of duty on or after September 11, 2001. The VA will begin accepting applications for the Fry Scholarship on May 01, 2010 and may be paid retroactively to August 01, 2009.

Questions about your GI Benefits?

GI Bill® Hotline (Muskogee, Oklahoma): 1-888-GI-Bill-1 (1-888-442-4551)

Note: Peak calling times are weekdays between 10:00 am CST and 3:00 p.m. CST. Staff is available to take your call as early as 7:30 a.m. and as late as 5:00 p.m. CST.