Admissions - PWSC

  • Attend Prince William Sound College

    At Prince Williams Sound College (PWSC) students benefit from a close-knit learning community with a high level of faculty and staff support. With no out-of-state tuition, anyone can pursue a highly affordable education in one of Alaska's most spectacular settings.

    Apply Now

PWSC Admissions

Prince William Sound College is a community campus of the University of Alaska Anchorage (UAA), and shares the UAA mission of providing open access to higher education for all students.

Applying for admission is your first step in becoming a college student, and the admission office at Prince William Sound College is here to help. Contact us for assistance with application requirements, Alaska residency, Advanced Placements credits, postponing your degree or changing your major. 

Cross-Campus Enrollment

If you are pursuing a degree program offered by the University of Alaska (UAA) Anchorage campus or another UA campus, you do not need to reapply to a Prince William Sound College degree program to attend classes at Prince William Sound College. Students admitted to other UA campuses are welcome to enroll in classes at Prince William Sound College.

Contact Admissions

Call or email PWSC Admissions Office


Request More Information Schedule a Campus Visit


  • Admission Policy and Deadlines

    Application Deadlines


    You must apply for admission by the semester’s ADD/DROP deadline which is at the end of the second week of each semester.

    The UAA Catalog outlines policies regarding admission requirements and student rights and responsibilities in the admission process. Please follow this link to review the General Admission Policies and Information section before applying.

    If you are a degree-seeking student we strongly recommend applying several months before the start of the semester you plan to start college. Applying early allows sufficient time for processing, placement testing, and advising before registration and helps ensure a successful start to college life.


  • Admission Types and Fees

    Anyone who wants to take classes must first be admitted. When applying for admission, we ask you to choose an application type based on your educational objectives and academic goals. For example, you can:

    Choose an undergraduate degree-seeking application if you are taking classes to earn a degree, certificate or occupational endorsement certificate. Degree-seeking students may be eligible for financial aid. There is no application fee.

    Choose a non-degree-seeking application if you are taking classes for the purpose of personal or professional enhancement and do not want to pursue a certificate or degree. Non-degree-seeking students are not eligible for financial aid. There is no application fee.

    Choose an PWSC secondary school student application if you are attending 9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th grade and are planning to take classes with us while continuing high school or you are a Tech Prep student enrolling for concurrent credit. There is no application fee.


  • International Students


    International application

    Prince William Sound College is nestled 360 degrees by the Chugach Mountain Range, and we are a premier spot for outdoor adventure. Prince William Sound College is here to provide support services for prospective, incoming, and current F-1 international students.

    Applying for Admissions

    Admission for international students needs to complete and submit an application for the Associates of Arts or Associates or Applied Science in Outdoor Leadership. Note the application deadlines differ from those on the Admissions website.

    International Students Admissions Deadline

    • Fall Semester: June 15th - We must receive all required documentation by July 15th
    • Spring Semester: October 15th - We must receive all required documentation by November 15th 
    • International students will not be admitted for the summer semester.

    Start the application process well in advance to ensure time for the following:

    • Obtain I-20
    • Embassy Interview
    • Acquire Visa

    Additional Documentation before the Application is complete

    Transcript Evaluation

    All international transcripts must be evaluated by World Education Services (WES).*  WES specifies how to submit academic documents from each country.  The typical process is listed below; however, be sure to check the WES website and follow their directions carefully as WES will not process documents not sent in the manner required.

    • Student creates an account with WES
      • Choose ICAP Course-by-Course evaluation for all college/university transcripts
      • For high school transcripts choose a Document-by-Document evaluation
      •  Be sure to add the University of Alaska Anchorage as a recipient when creating your WES account.
    • Student completes Academic Records Request Form (found on WES website under "Documents Required") and sends to an educational institution(s)
    • Educational institution(s) sends the documents to WES
    • WES sends completed evaluation electronically to UAA (as long as you choose UAA as a recipient)

    Once WES receives the documents and has verified their authenticity UAA should have the results in three to four weeks.

    *If you have completed the equivalent of 24 or more college credits (as evidenced by your WES evaluation or your official transcript sent by an accredited U.S. college) with a grade of C or better, UAA will waive the requirement for your high school transcript. 

    English Proficiency Requirements

    All international students must show that they have obtained a certain level of English Proficiency.

    Minimum TOEFL Score: 71 iBT

    Minimum IELTS Score: 6.0 Overall Band

    All test scores submitted must be official. Please ask the testing center to make the results available to the University of Alaska Anchorage – Prince William Sound College.

    If you meet one of the following requirements you may submit an English Proficiency waiver form (see below).

    • Are a Native English Language Speaker
    • Have attended a regionally accredited US college or university, and have
      • received a "C" or better in a course equivalent to UAA's Writing 111 course, or
      • obtained a Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited US college or university.

     Financial Documentation

    •  To receive an I-20 you must have been admitted to PWSC, and provided PWSC Admissions Office with

      Financial Support Declaration and Bank Statement in US Dollars (USD) of (Minimum $18,000). (Note: Bank letters are not accepted).

       You must show that you have the ability to fund yourself for a minimum of one year while attending PWSC. This includes tuition and fees, lodging and meals, and everyday expenses including health insurance. International Students are not eligible for Financial Aid and must personally secure their own funding.

      Once you have been admitted to PWSC and have provided proof of your financial support, an I-20 will be created for you.

      You will receive a copy of the information your I-20 was created from and asked to verify it is correct, and you will be provided with instructions on receiving the document with the use of eShipGlobal.

      We will send your acceptance packet to you which will include your I-20 and information on paying your SEVIS fee and arranging a visa interview.

  • Program of Study
    You will also need to choose a program of study (major). Review detailed information on the degree programs, certificates, and occupational endorsements offered at Prince William Sound College under Areas of Study – Degree Programs.
  •  Transcripts Required

    After applying for a degree or certificate-seeking admission, you will need to submit the required transcripts as follows:

    Freshmen applicants (still in high school or have earned less than 24 college credits):

    • High school (or GED) transcript*
    • College transcripts from all regionally-accredited institutions attended, other than University of Alaska campuses (we can access those for you).

    Transfer applicants (have earned 24 or more college-level credits):

    • College transcripts from all regionally-accredited institutions attended, other than University of Alaska campuses (we can access those for you).

    *If you have not graduated yet, submit an in-progress transcript for earlier acceptance. After graduation, submit a final transcript with a graduation date to complete your admission process.

    Transcripts must be official and mailed to the following address from the issuing institution:

    Prince William Sound College
    Attn: Student Affairs
    P.O. Box 97
    Valdez, AK 99686

    Official transcripts may also be submitted to PWSC in an unopened envelope sealed by the issuing institution, or through a secure electronic system using a secure site. Official secure electronic documents may be emailed to Faxed transcripts and test scores are not acceptable for admission purposes.

Learn More About Attending PWSC

Notice of AvailabilityAnnual Security and Fire Safety Report

The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at:  The report contains information regarding campus safety and security including topics such as: campus law enforcement authority; crime reporting policies; campus alerts (Timely Warnings and Emergency Notifications); fire safety policies and procedures; programs to prevent dating violence, domestic violence, sexual assault and stalking; the procedures the University will follow when one of these crimes is reported; and other matters of importance related to security on campus. The report also contains information about crime statistics for the three most recent calendar years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus; in On-Campus Student Housing Facilities; in Noncampus buildings or property owned or controlled by the University or a recognized student organization; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from, the campus.  The report also contains fire statistics for any fires occurring in an On-Campus Student Housing Facility during the three most recent calendar years.  If you would like to receive a paper copy of the Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, you can stop by the UAA Police Department Office at Room 114 of Eugene Short Hall on the Anchorage campus or request a copy be mailed to you by calling 907-786-1120 or emailing  You may also stop by the UAA Dean of Students Office in Room 122 of Rasmuson Hall on the Anchorage campus or request a copy be mailed to you by calling 907-786-1214 or emailing