Disability Support Services (DSS)

PWSC’s Disability Support Services (DSS) is committed to coordinating support to provide equal educational opportunities for students who experience disabilities.

To access support services, students should complete the Student Intake Form and provide current disability documentation to the DSS contact, Ana Hinkle. Form and documentation can be dropped off at Student Services Room 124F, sent by email to dss@pwsc.alaska.edu. Services include but are not limited to, American Sign Language interpreters, note-taking assistance, testing adjustments, ergonomic furniture, textbooks in alternate formats (e.g., large print, audio, e-text, etc.) and access to adaptive technology.

Students attending PWSC who experience disabilities have a right to:

  • Equal access to courses, programs, services, and activities offered through the college;
  • Individualized accommodations;
  • Effective academic adjustments/aids;
  • Confidentiality;
  • All other rights available to other students at PWSC.

Students attending PWSC who experience disabilities have a right to:

  • Self-identify and self-advocate;
  • Make reasonable requests in a timely manner;
  • Provide appropriate documentation;
  • Meet qualifications and maintain essential standards for courses, programs and activities;
  • Follow university procedures;
  • Arrange for certain services and devices which are outside the scope of Disability Support Services. Services include but are not limited to attendant care, mobility training, and financial aid; Devices include but are not limited to hearing aids, eyeglasses, wheelchairs, computing technology that exceeds what is available for all students at PWSC/UAA.

Early planning is encouraged to allow DSS staff adequate time to make the necessary arrangements for support services. Referrals can be made through local agencies, Student Services or by self-referral.