Dual Credit


Prince William Sound College works with several school districts in Alaska to offer special courses for high school students. These courses have many advantages. Some students can earn both their high school diploma and an Associate of Arts degree at the same time. Others can take certain classes, like math and English, which can count toward a degree at PWSC or be transferred to another college or university. Dual credit, dual enrollment, and secondary student are terms used to describe high school students taking college courses.

Taking these dual credit classes can be both challenging and rewarding as you work towards your educational goals. However, there are some important things you should know:

    • Your performance in these classes will be recorded on an official transcript and academic record at PWSC. This record will stay with you throughout your academic journey and may affect your future college admission, eligibility for financial aid, and ability to graduate.
    • While attending these classes, you'll need to follow PWSC's rules, procedures, and code of conduct. Unlike high school, the college won't provide direct supervision.
    • The course materials and discussions may cover mature topics and different perspectives. Be prepared to engage with the same content as college students.
    • To keep taking PWSC courses, you must earn a grade of "C" or higher in each dual credit class.
    • Some courses like your writing or math require placement testing to see if you're eligible for the courses.

New Dual Credit Students

New students need to submit three forms to the PWSC Registrar:

    1. A completed registration form, this can be picked up at PWSC Campus.
    2. A signed Student Parent Agreement form. Both you and your parent must sign it separately.
    3. A signed Authorization to Release Records form. This form allows PWSC to share information about your account payments and grades with your school district, school counselor, and parent or guardian. Even if you're under 18, you have the right to keep your educational records private from your parent or guardian.

If you're from Valdez High School, there is a specific packet of forms called the Secondary Student Packet - Valdez High School. However, regardless of the packet, you'll still need to fill out the Registration Form to be officially registered in your courses. The Secondary Student Packet is only for first-time dual credit students.


Need Only One Form?

Need Help? Contact Your Advisor!

Photo of Cherise Beatus
Cherise Beatus
Academic & Student Affairs Specialist
Phone: 907-834-1645
Email: cabeatus@alaska.edu
Website: Book an appointment with Cherise