Registration ProcessRegistration Guidelines and DefinitionsTranscriptsGraduation Policies

Register for Classes

Registration Steps

Ready to register at PWSC? Follow these steps to get started:

The following steps apply to all students, except high school students and senior citizens (please see the additional steps):

All Students
  1. Clear outstanding balances/debts/fines with PWSC.
  2. Check the Academic Calendar for registration dates.
  3. Register at UAOnline, OR visit a PWSC location during walk-in registration and fill out a Registration Form.
  4. Pay for tuition and fees at UAOnline by payment deadline, take advantage of the Payment Plan, Or pay at a PWSC location by payment deadline.
  5. Purchase textbooks (all books are available through our online Bookstore).
  6. Review the PWSC Catalog and Registration Pamphlet for updates to policies and procedures, student code of conduct, rights and responsibilities, and important dates and deadlines.
Additional Steps for Non-Degree Seeking and Continuing Degree-Seeking Students

In addition to the above requirements if you fall into the categories below, you must fulfill the additional requirements:

Non Degree-Seeking Students
Continuing Degree-Seeking Students

  1. For the 2015-2016 Academic Year: the City of Valdez has graciously offered any high school student taking a college course, that is outside of the high school program, a 75% discount on tuition.
  2. Students are responsible for any remaining fees and the cost of textbooks.
  3. Students must fill out the PWSC location specific high school student Concurrent Enrollment Forms.
    Secondary Student Packet

    Secondary Student Enrollment Packet (2.5 MiB)

  4. The waiver must have ALL signatures, including those from the high school counselor, the student, and the legal guardian (if under 18).
  5. Student must have ACCUPLACER or SAT/ACT placement test scores.
  6. Consult the Academic Calendar for registration dates.
  7. Online registration is not available.

Tuition Waiver for Senior Citizens

Regular tuition shall be waived for Alaska residents who are 66 years of age prior to the beginning (first day of class) of the semester they are registering for, and who register on a space available basis; that is, when courses can accommodate such students in addition to other enrolled students.

Click here for the Tuition Waiver Request For Senior Citizens Form. This form must be presented in person, along with the Registration Form, and proof of age at the time of registration.

Use of senior citizen waivers is governed accordingly:

  1. Senior citizens must pay all additional course fees.
  2. To waive tuition, senior citizens must register and present a completed tuition waiver with proof of age during the late registration period.
  3. Registration using a Senior Citizen Tuition Waiver for payment is permitted only during late registration and must be completed by the ADD deadline.
  4. Senior citizens may elect to register before the first day of class; however, they must pay full tuition and fees (use of the Senior Citizen Tuition Waiver will not be accepted).
  5. Senior citizens electing to register and pay tuition are subject to all payment deadlines.
  6. Refunds will NOT be available to senior citizens who drop courses and then re-register in the same courses using a tuition waiver during late registration.

Registration Guidelines and Definitions

Prerequisite Courses

Prerequisite courses are those that are required before being allowed to register for a course. Students are expected to meet prerequisites for all courses prior to registering. Prerequisites are listed in course descriptions in the course catalog and the schedule. Students confident of performing the course work may request instructor permission to enroll in the class. Instructors may withdraw students who enroll without either prerequisites or instructor permission. Prerequisites indicate the preparation and/or background necessary to undertake academic study. Students are expected to demonstrate learning skills commensurate with the appropriate course level.

Course Level Expectations
  • Courses numbered 001-049 are career development courses offered for continuing education units (CEU) or non-credit and are not designed as preparation for 100-level college work.
  • Courses numbered 050-099 do not apply to degree requirements and are designed as basic developmental courses intended to help prepare students to enter 100-level college courses.
  • 100-level courses generally require learning basic concepts.
  • 200-, 300-, and 400-level courses require increasing sophistication in the ability to extract, summarize, evaluate, and apply relevant class material.
  • 500-level courses are specifically designed for professional development.
Full-time & Part-time Status
  • Undergraduate students registered for 12 or more credits during a semester are classified as full-time.
  • Undergraduate students registered for less than 12 credits during a semester are classified as part-time.
  • Undergraduate students must be registered for at least 6 credits during a semester are considered half-time.

Additional designations are considered for financial aid purposes. Audited courses, continuing education units (CEU’s) and year-long courses are not included in the computation of study load for full-time or part-time status.

Study Load

Students may register for a maximum of 19 credits each semester. To register for additional credits, a signed agreement must be submitted at registration. Overload request must be verified by an advisor and the college director’s. To be eligible for overload, students must have a grade point average of 2.75 and be of sophomore standing. For study loads which include non-credit courses, the credit evaluation is based upon credit courses only.


The University of Alaska has partnered with Parchment Exchange to provide secure delivery of electronic transcripts and ordering services for both electronic and paper transcripts. All official transcript requests must be made through the student’s UAOnline account (select “Official Transcript Request Service” from the menu). Students can also access their unofficial transcripts under the Student Records menu in UAOnline. If the student has a ‘hold’ they will not be able to order official transcripts or view their unofficial transcript until the hold is cleared.

Before ordering an electronic transcript, please confirm with the recipient that they will accept an electronic transcript and check your unofficial transcript at UAOnline to ensure it is up-to-date (see “Obtaining Your Unofficial Transcripts” below for more information). We do not hold transcript requests for pending grades or degrees.

Order Official Transcripts Through UAOnline

Click here for step-by-step instructions for ordering official transcripts through UAOnline.

There are three choices when ordering official transcripts
  1. $12 Official Electronic PDF Transcript- the fastest Delivery Processed and delivered by the next business day. University of Alaska official transcript delivered by email in a secure electronic PDF
  2. $30 Official Paper Transcript – EXPEDITED 24-hour processing; Official University of Alaska Paper Transcript EXPEDITED is processed and mailed by next business day. Sent by U.S. Postal Service first class mail.
  3. 3.) $15 Official Paper Transcript – normal processing; Official University of Alaska paper transcript processed and sent by U.S. Postal Service first class mail within five business days.

Please note that you should rarely, if ever, need to send your official transcript to your own University of Alaska (UA) campus or from one UA campus to another. We highly recommend that you confirm with the intended recipient whether or not a transcript is necessary before ordering. A transcript request submitted through UAOnline will prompt a transcript to be sent from each campus (PWSC, UAA, UAF and UAS) that you’ve attended. For example, if you place an order and pay for one transcript and have attended PWSC, UAA, UAF and UAS, one transcript will be sent from each institution.

Official transcripts of credit earned at other institutions, high school transcripts, and other supporting documents which have been presented for admission or evaluation of credit become the property of PWSC and are not re-issued or copied.

Obtaining Your Unofficial Transcripts

You can view and print your unofficial transcript by logging into UAOnline.

If you do not know your username and/or password: please go to and select Option 3. If you are unable to find your username and/or set your password, please call Information Technology Services at 907-786-4646 for assistance.


Once you’re logged into UAOnline, you can access your unofficial transcript by:

  1. Clicking on the Student Services & Account Information tab.
  2. Then, click on Student Records.
  3. Next, click on Academic Transcript.
  4. To view your transcript with all of your coursework, select All Levels as the Transcript Type and then click Submit. If you wish to view coursework at a specific level (i.e. undergraduate, graduate, professional development, etc.), select the appropriate level from the Transcript Level dropdown before clicking on Submit.

Please note that courses completed prior to 1982 are maintained on microfilm and microfiche and may not appear on your unofficial transcript in UAOnline.

Transcripts for Admission into PWSC

For instructions on submitting your official transcripts to PWSC for formal admission to a degree or certificate program, please visit step number two of Transfer Student, located within the Admission Process tab on the Admissions page.
For more information, contact PWSC Student Affaris at 907-834-1600

Graduation Policies

Applying for PWSC Graduation

You, the student, are responsible for meeting all PWSC requirements for graduating. It’s encouraged that you meet periodically with an advisor to be sure all degree requirements are being met. In order to graduate, a graduation application must be filed with Student Affairs by the published deadline listed in the Academic Calendar. In order to be certain that your degree program requirements can be completed, you should apply for graduation the semester prior to your expected date of graduation.

A $20 graduation fee will be applied when you submit your PWSC graduation application.

Graduation Application PWSC (581.1 KiB)

Graduating with Honors

If you are a transfer student who is earning an associate’s degree, you must complete a minimum of 15 resident credits with academic letter grades to be eligible to graduate with honors. If you are a transfer student who is earning a baccalaureate degree, you must complete a minimum of 30 resident credits with academic letter grades to be eligible to graduate with honors. All transfer students must have a cumulative GPA of 3.50 or higher in all college work attempted both at PWSC/UAA and at all other institutions attended and for all courses used to fulfill the degree program in order to graduate with honors.

At PWSC/UAA, graduation with honors represents your entire academic history. All grades and credits earned will be included in determining eligibility to graduate with honors (Ds, Fs, retaken courses, courses lost in academic bankruptcy, etc.). In addition, if you’re transferring coursework and grades from an international institution, you must have a minimum of 70% of your coursework submitted with letter grades to be eligible to graduate with honors.

If you’re a student who will complete certificate or degree requirements in the summer, fall or spring semesters, you will be invited to participate in commencement ceremonies in May. You will only be eligible to wear honor cords and be recognized in the commencement program as receiving university honors if your overall GPA at the end of the preceding semester is 3.5 or above. If you earn university honors after your final grades are submitted, you will have honors displayed on your diploma and academic transcript and may request an honor cord with your diploma.

Please note: The GPA on your transcript is not your final GPA for honors.

Honors are awarded to associate and bachelor degree students with cumulative GPAs as follows:

Cum Laude3.5 to 3.79
Magna Cum Laude3.8 to 3.99
Summa Cum Laude4.00
Applying for Other UA Campus’ Graduation

Each campus in the UA system has different deadlines and requirements for applying for graduation. You can check out the catalog or website of the campus where your degree program originates to learn more about your campus-specific graduation requirements.

Records and Registration

Last modified: April 18, 2016, modified by Jessica Young