Welcome to the Health & Fitness Center at PWSC
The Health & Fitness Center at Prince William Sound Community college offers a modern facility with cardio equipment, resistance equipment, group fitness classes, a gear loan program, and special events. Our facility and services are designed for all fitness levels, and our staff are dedicated to providing a fun welcoming place for students, community members, and all visitors to get fit!
Hours and Contact Information
Hours of Operation:
- Monday – Friday
- 5 a.m. – 8:45 p.m.
- Saturday – Sunday
- 9 a.m. – 8:45 p.m.
Holiday Closures and Reduced Hours:
|Easter Weekend – Saturday||8 a.m.-5 p.m.|
|Easter Weekend – Sunday||Closed|
|Memorial Day||8 a.m.-5 p.m.|
|July 3||8 a.m.-5 p.m.|
|Labor Day||8 a.m.-5 p.m.|
|Halloween||5 a.m.-8:45 p.m.|
|Day before Thanksgiving||8 a.m.-5 p.m.|
|Thanksgiving Weekend Fri-Sun||8 a.m.-5 p.m.|
|Commencement (May 9)||Reduced Hours TBA|
|December 23||8 a.m.-5 p.m.|
|December 24||8 a.m.-5 p.m.|
|December 26-30||8 a.m.-5 p.m.|
|December 31||8 a.m.-5 p.m.|
|January 1||Closed for New Year’s Day|
View This Month’s Fitness Classes and Schedule
Click below for this month’s schedule:
August 2017 Group Fitness Classes (374.9 KiB)
- Bodies in Tune:
This is a volunteer or video led class. Tuesday and Thursday will utilize Bosu ball exercises. Strength training and toning exercises as well as improving balance, and flexibility will be the focus.
- Flow Yoga w/Michelle:
Friday is a high energy, fat burning yoga flow class. Sunday is a power Vinyasa flow yoga with light weights. Flow Yoga will improve your strength, stamina, flexibility, and balance. If you looking to tone your body or just have fun- this class is for you!! Suitable for all levels.
- Kettle Ball Power Hour w/Amber:
A dynamic class full of explosive, core based strength exercises to build muscle and rev up your metabolism and maximize your potential! Can be modified for all fitness levels.
- Morning Movement:
Get up and get moving! Join us for this volunteer or video led class. Videos are available and can be checked out at the Front Desk, or a myriad of streaming options via our Apple TV can be found online.
- Tabata Bootcamp:
An 8-week comprehensive fitness program designed to help participants gain strength, lose weight, increase agility, & meet their fitness goals. Online support, nutrition, accountability, & more. Register at the H&FC front desk.
- Yin Yang Yoga w/Michelle:
A quieter practice consisting of poses being held for 3-5 minutes. The focus is on the opening of the connective tissue of the eight key joints, thus rejuvenating and distributing Chi (energy) throughout the body. Most of yin and yang is done seated or laying down on the yoga mat.
Multi-class programs include full access to the facility during open hours, as well as unlimited participation in our drop-in fitness classes. Showers and towel service are also provided.
Programs are available for adults over the age of 18, and youths under 18 with parental signature. Participants must be 14 years of age to use the gym without adult supervision.
Cost for Programs and Passes
|Multi-Class Program||Individual||Family||Senior/Minor||PWSC Students||PWSC Employees|
|4 Month (30 day limit)||$110||$220||$55||$55|
|4 Month (10 day limit)||$75||$150||$30||$30|
|Special Conditionsn||n/a||2 adults, plus up to 2 kids living in the same household.||Seniors age 65 and older. Minors under age 18.||Students enrolled in 6 or more credits.||n/a|
Some local employers offer their employees a partial reimbursement for Health & Fitness Center programs. Ask your employer for details.
Individual Fitness Classes
|Class Name and Description||Date and Time of Class|
We are happy to offer individualized Personal Training Sessions with our Certified Personal Trainers on staff.
The PWSC Personal Training Program begins with an Initial Consultation with a Personal Trainer. The Initial Consultation consists of a 1.5 hour session in which the Personal Trainer will discuss and set goals with the client, evaluate current fitness levels, and begin a fitness program. The Initial Consultation costs $60.
Please dress in comfortable work-out clothes, wear indoor gym shoes, and bring a water bottle.
After an Initial Consultation, the rate for Personal Training Sessions is $45. Sessions last one hour and are scheduled directly with the Personal Trainer.
Buy a package of 10 Personal Training Sessions and receive the Initial Consultation for FREE! Total package cost is $450. This package is all-inclusive with:
- Fitness testing and measurements
- Goal setting and planning
- Steadily progressing workouts customized for your fitness level
- Nutritional information
- Workout at the Health & Fitness Center or in the comfort of your own home.
- Appointment times with Personal Trainers must be respected. Rescheduling will be considered within reason as long as at least 24 hours’ notice is given. Cancellations with less than 24 hours’ notice or no-shows will be charged the hourly Personal Trainer rate. If the Personal Trainer must cancel an appointment with less than 24 hours’ notice the client will receive one free session.
- Client tardiness will be deducted from the appointment time, which is still full cost.
- Participants in the Personal Trainer Program must be enrolled at the PWSC Health & Fitness Center or pay the daily program rate when working with the Personal Trainer.
Ski for Free Program
Gear Loan is FREE — just bring photo ID!
Did you know that the Ski for Free program has summer equipment available as well?
Available for loan year-round:
- GPS Devices
- Trekking Poles
Once the ski trails are groomed for the winter:
- Skate Skis
- Classic Skis
- Ski Boots
- Ski Poles
Checking out gear through Ski for Free is easy! Just bring in photo identification and an idea of what you would like to check out. The Health & Fitness Center Staff will make sure you fill out the appropriate paperwork and get the sizes of equipment you need. Then you’ll be off to enjoy Valdez’s many outdoor recreation possibilities!
All gear is free of charge for the first two days and is due by closing on the second day. Each additional day will incur a rental fee of $5/day. Telephone extensions of the free loan period are not allowed. If the Health & Fitness Center is closed for a holiday on the regular due date, the loan is extended and the equipment is due no later than closing on the next business day.
Borrowers who fail to return equipment, or who return damaged equipment, will incur a fee of up to $400.00 to cover replacement of lost/damaged items. Borrowers with fees assessed against them are ineligible to borrow additional equipment until all fines are paid.
- 1 pair skis, 1 ski strap, 1 pair boots, 1 pair poles, 1 pair gaiters, 1 headlamp
- 1 pair snowshoes, 1 pair poles, 1 pair gaiters, 1 headlamp
- 1 GPS unit, 1 pair gaiters, 1 headlamp
|Part or all of a ski||5$/day after free loan period|
|Part or all of a snowshoe||5$/day after free loan period|
|Part or all of a GPS||5$/day after free loan period|
|Equipment Borrowed||Free until:|
|Anytime Monday||8:45 pm on Wednesday|
|Anytime Tuesday||8:45 pm on Thursday|
|Anytime Wednesday||8:45 pm on Friday|
|Anytime Thursday||8:45 pm on Saturday|
|Anytime Friday||8:45 pm on Sunday|
|Anytime Saturday||8:45 pm on Monday|
|Anytime Sunday||8:45 pm on Tuesday|
Health & Fitness Center Coordinator
- Kayla grew up In NE Georgia where she met and married her husband of 4 years. Kayla’s husband joined the Coast Guard and they left the south to enjoy the coastal life. After a brief period in Corpus Christi, TX they were offered the opportunity to come to Alaska. Excited to start a new adventure in the last frontier, she and her husband moved to Valdez.
Kayla has a passion for living a healthy lifestyle. She believes that fitness is necessary for not only physical health, but mental as well. Since moving to Alaska, Kayla has enjoyed the many outdoor recreational activities Valdez has to offer. Hiking, biking and skiing have become some of her favorite alternatives to the gym. Besides working out Kayla enjoys DIY projects, a good book and road trips.
Her love for fitness and her background in the beauty industry has motivated Kayla to help others feel good through exercise. She strives to create a positive, learning environment where anyone can achieve their fitness goals.
- Sarah Histand is teaching group fitness classes. Sarah believes that fitness can be fun and that we are often capable of more than we realize. She brings this passion and excitement for possibility to her classes and her work at the Health & Fitness Center.
Sarah is a lifelong Alaskan, having grown up in Soldotna and worked around the state before moving to Valdez in 2013. She is a wilderness adventurer, a yoga junkie, and a bookworm. She loves Valdez for its outdoor recreation access, wild weather, and supportive community. Sarah has a Master’s degree in Social Work, is the Chair of the Sound Wellness Alliance Network (SWAN), and an AFAA certified Personal Trainer. She is also a certified Tabata Bootcamp Instructor, PiYoTM Instructor, Spinning® Instructor and a Wilderness First Responder.
- Donna Lane leads two classes at the Health & Fitness Center: Bodies in Tune and Longevity Stick Art. Leading these classes allows her the fun of encouraging others to work out and also keep herself active. She enjoys the social aspect of exercising with friends as well as the physical and mental benefits. Certified in Longevity Stick Art, she is currently studying to become a certified AFAA Group Fitness Exercise leader.
Born in New York City and raised in a suburb, Donna moved to Texas to attend college where she received a BA in Architecture. She has worked as an architect in a variety of position ranging from historic building researcher, landscape architect, and state park planner. She has lived in Alaska for more than 30 years including 22 years living aboard a sailboat. Donna feels quite lucky to have lived in three such different locations. She enjoys biking, gardening, community volunteering, reading and being fit.
Gianna Giusti McCune
- Gianna Giusti McCune is a Health and Fitness Center PiYoTM Instructor. Gianna is a native of California but has called Alaska her home for the past 13 years. She is an advocate for promoting both mental and physical wellness throughout the community of Valdez. Her full time job is the K-5 school counselor at Hermon Hutchens Elementary school. She also serves on the Alaska State Board of School Counselors. In her free time she enjoys spreading her love of health and fitness through a variety of activities which include community presentations, running, swimming, outdoor recreation and teaching PiYoTM. She looks forward to continually adding new exciting fitness classes to her repertoire while always keeping all skill levels in mind. Gianna is a strong believer in setting goals, challenging oneself and never EVER using the word ‘can’t’!
- Amber Mehlberg is a Certified Personal Trainer at the Health & Fitness Center and also teaches group fitness classes. She grew up in Alaska and now lives in Valdez with her husband and two children. Amber’s personal experience of lifestyle change through fitness helps her approach her work as a trainer at the Health & Fitness Center with understanding and compassion. A couple years after having her youngest child in 2007, Amber found herself still struggling to lose the “baby weight”. When she tipped the scale over 180 lbs. and tired of being out of shape and feeling unhealthy, she decide to make a choice for change and began running and exercising and making good food choices. Loosing over 50 lbs and becoming healthy empowered her to take charge of her life and go after her goals. She wanted to become a Personal Trainer to teach other people that good fitness is attainable and empower them to go after what they want and succeed. She believes that there is nothing you can’t achieve if you believe in yourself and are willing to work hard and never give up.
- Michelle Worby is a Yoga Instructor at Health & Fitness Center. She graduated from Adrienne Reed Power Yoga School with certifications in Power Forms of yoga including Flow, Yin, and Restorative.
Michelle moved to Valdez in March, 2014 from Palatine, Illinois where she owned her own studio for over four years. Michelle’s love for yoga started in 1991 after she experienced some challenging health issues. Yoga helped her move through these health issues and toward a better quality of life. After personally experiencing how transformative yoga can be, Michelle became a teacher to share with others what yoga had given her. Michelle gets so excited to teach each class and help students feel the best they can. Her enthusiasm is contagious. Michelle says, “I just love yoga and seeing the progress of students as they grow in their own yoga practice.”
The Health and Fitness Center for PWSC Students
The Health & Fitness Center is pleased to support PWSC students in their health and wellness endeavors. Our facility is conveniently located on campus and is within a few minutes’ walk from the PWSC Student Housing complex. Health & Fitness Center staff are here to help students work toward their fitness goals and connect with the Valdez community in the process.
We offer PWSC students taking at least six (6) PWSC credit hours a steep discount on their program cost. Instead of paying $200 for a six-month program, PWSC students pay only $25! Health & Fitness Center Multi-Class Program includes unlimited use of the facility during open hours and a large variety of free group fitness classes each week. To qualify for this reduced-cost student program, fill out the Student Multi-Class Program Application and get it verified by the friendly staff in Student Services. Completed forms can be brought to the Health & Fitness Center, where we will set up the new program.
The Health & Fitness Center also supports our students by hiring student employees to work as front desk attendants each semester. The front desk attendant positions are active and diverse, with a typical shift including a mix of customer service, cleaning, outdoor equipment management, and interacting with gym participants. Interested applicants should contact the Health & Fitness Center at email@example.com as early as possible, as these jobs go quickly.