Welcome to the Health & Fitness Center at PWSC
The Health & Fitness Center at Prince William Sound College offers a modern facility with cardio equipment, resistance equipment, group fitness classes, a gear loan program, and special events. Our facility and services are designed for all fitness levels, and our staff are dedicated to providing a fun welcoming place for students, community members, and all visitors to get fit!
Hours and Contact Information
Hours of Operation:
- Monday – Friday
- 5 a.m. – 8:45 p.m.
- Saturday – Sunday
- 9 a.m. – 8:45 p.m.
Holiday Closures and Reduced Hours:
Click here for information on Healthier Valdez
Fitness Classes and Daily Schedule
- Bodies in Tune:
This is a volunteer or video led class. Tuesday and Thursday will utilize Bosu ball exercises. Strength training and toning exercises as well as improving balance, and flexibility will be the focus.
- Flow Yoga w/Michelle:
Friday is a high-energy, fat burning yoga flow class. Sunday is a power Vinyasa flow yoga with light weights. Flow Yoga will improve your strength, stamina, flexibility, and balance. If you looking to tone your body or just have fun- this class is for you!! Suitable for all levels.
- Kettle Ball Power Hour w/Amber:
A dynamic class full of explosive, core based strength exercises to build muscle and rev up your metabolism and maximize your potential! Can be modified for all fitness levels.
- Fitness for Life
Gentle exercise for all stages of life. Designed for those desiring to improve their body’s function and strength.Â Gentle movements incorporating self-resistance, exercise bands, breath control, and stretching are used to provide a whole body fitness routine to help improve daily functionality and strength. Exercises can be modified to the fitness level of the individual, including exercising in a seated position.
- Tabata Bootcamp:
An 8-week comprehensive fitness program designed to help participants gain strength, lose weight, increase agility, & meet their fitness goals. Online support, nutrition, accountability, & more. Register at the H&FC front desk.
- Yin Yang Yoga w/Michelle:
A quieter practice consisting of poses being held for 3-5 minutes. The focus is on the opening of the connective tissue of the eight key joints, thus rejuvenating and distributing Chi (energy) throughout the body. Most of yin and yang is done seated or laying down on the yoga mat.
- Beginning Yoga w/ Meg Mckinney
Introduces yoga physical exercises, breathing, relaxation and concentration techniques as an approach to wellness.Â Offered two different times on Mondays and Wednesdays.
- Zumba w/Heidi
Get groovinâ€™ at your own pace. The easy-to-follow program that lets you move to the beat at your own speed. Itâ€™s an invigorating, community-oriented dance-fitness class that feels fresh, and most of all, exhilarating! ZumbaÂ® classesÂ provide modified, low-impact moves for active adults.
- Mid-Day Yoga StretchÂ w/Sarah G
This is a gentle stretching class for the â€śover 50 crowdâ€ť or for those needing a middle of the day stretch break. FocusÂ onÂ keeping the body limber and energized with breath and body movement. This gentle workout can take place on a yoga mat or chair. No prior yoga experience is necessary.
- Longevity Stick w/Donna
This exercise regimen incorporates a series of 12 moveÂments designed to improve balance, flexibility, strength, focus, breathing capacity and vitality. Class combines longevity stick exercises with rhythmic breathing to help promote better health and physical movement capabilities.
- Spin w/Sarah JO
A mix of endurance, intervals, and strength rides are incorporated to help you push your fitness to the next level. Have no fear-you choose the difficulty level and resistance. Burn 600-1000 calories in a one-hour class!
- Bosu/Cardio/Sculpt w/Amber
Utilizing BOSU (Both Sides Up) equipment, moves from these classes will add balance and stabilization to any fitness routine. BOSU Cardio emphasizes movement and control, BOSU Sculpt focuses on strength and toning, and BOSU Core Cardio hones in on the abdominals and back.
- Piyo w/Sarah JO
“Who says you have to jump, grunt, strain, and punish your body to get amazing results from your workout? Not with PiYoâ€¦PiYo combines the muscle-sculpting, core-firming benefits of Pilates with the strength and flexibility advantages of yoga. And, we crank up the speed to deliver a true fat-burning, low-impact workout that leaves your body looking long, lean, and incredibly defined.”
The multi-class program enrolls you in a group of popular fitness classes that are offered daily. Classes are designed so you may attend once, intermittently, or for every session that is offered. You choose your level of participation. The program also provides full access to the weight room equipment and facilities. We provide an option to enroll as a family, discounts for seniors and minors, and there are many options for enrollment length. Examples of classes in this program are Longevity Stick, Bodies in Tune, Yin Yang Yoga, and Zumba.
Programs are available for adults over the age of 18, and youths under 18 with parental signature. Participants must be 14 years of age to use the gym without adult supervision.
Shower and towel service are provided.
Cost for Programs and Passes
|Multi-Class Program||Individual||Family||Senior/Minor||PWSC Students||PWSC Employees|
|4 Month (30 day limit)||$110||$220||$55||$55|
|4 Month (10 day limit)||$75||$150||$30||$30|
|Special Conditionsn||n/a||2 adults, plus up to 2 kids living in the same household.||Seniors age 65 and older. Â Minors under age 18.||Students enrolled in 6 or more credits.||n/a|
Some local employers offer their employees a partial reimbursement for Health & Fitness Center programs. Ask your employer for details.
Individual Fitness Classes & Events
Individual classes have a specific start date, end date, and are designed to help students move through a progression of skills by attending each session. Some individual classes are available for college credit.Â Examples of these classes are Beginning Yoga, Chakra Yoga, and Tabata.
|Class Name and Description||Date and Time of Class|
|Beginning Yoga||Monday & Wednesday- w/Meg-(1/22-4/25) Â 8:00-9:15pm| w/Leigh-(2/21-4/16) 5:30-6:45pm|
|Tabata Bootcamp with Sarah JO||Â Monday, Tuesday & Thursday (1/8-3/1) Â 5:30-6:15p.m.|
|Healthier Valdez||Â January 27th 4-7pm|
|X-Country Ski Clinic||Â Sunday & Saturday 1/28 & 2/3 2:00-4:00pm|
Sponsored Fitness Classes
Sponsored classes are free to attend because of financial support from organizations such as Valdez United Way and SWAN. Classes are designed so you may attend once, intermittently, or for every session that is offered. You choose your level of participation. Examples of classes in this program are Fitness for Life, Nordic Ski Clinic, and Zumba.
Check the Fitness Center schedule for details.
We are happy to offer individualized Personal Training Sessions with our Certified Personal Trainers on staff.
The PWSC Personal Training Program begins with an Initial Consultation with a Personal Trainer. The Initial Consultation consists of a 1.5 hour session in which the Personal Trainer will discuss and set goals with the client, evaluate current fitness levels, and begin a fitness program. The Initial Consultation costs $60.
Please dress in comfortable work-out clothes, wear indoor gym shoes, and bring a water bottle.
After an Initial Consultation, the rate for Personal Training Sessions is $45. Sessions last one hour and are scheduled directly with the Personal Trainer.
Buy a package of 10 Personal Training Sessions and receive the Initial Consultation for FREE! Total package cost is $450. This package is all-inclusive with:
- Fitness testing and measurements
- Goal setting and planning
- Steadily progressing workouts customized for your fitness level
- Nutritional information
- Workout at the Health & Fitness Center or in the comfort of your own home.
- Appointment times with Personal Trainers must be respected. Rescheduling will be considered within reason as long as at least 24 hoursâ€™ notice is given. Cancellations with less than 24 hoursâ€™ notice or no-shows will be charged the hourly Personal Trainer rate. If the Personal Trainer must cancel an appointment with less than 24 hoursâ€™ notice the client will receive one free session.
- Client tardiness will be deducted from the appointment time, which is still full cost.
- Participants in the Personal Trainer Program must be enrolled at the PWSC Health & Fitness Center or pay the daily program rate when working with the Personal Trainer.
Ski for Free Program
Gear Loan is FREE â€” just bring photo ID!
Did you know that the Ski for Free program has summer equipment available as well?
Available for loan year-round:
- GPS Devices
- Trekking Poles
Once the ski trails are groomed forÂ the winter:
- Skate Skis
- Classic Skis
- Ski Boots
- Ski Poles
Checking out gear through Ski for Free is easy! Just bring in photo identification and an idea of what you would like to check out. The Health & Fitness Center Staff will make sure you fill out the appropriate paperwork and get the sizes of equipment you need. Then youâ€™ll be off to enjoy Valdezâ€™s many outdoor recreation possibilities!
All gear is free of charge for the first two days and is due by closing on the second day. Each additional day will incur a rental fee of $5/day. Telephone extensions of the free loan period are not allowed. If the Health & Fitness Center is closed for a holiday on the regular due date, the loan is extended and the equipment is due no later than closing on the next business day.
Borrowers who fail to return equipment, or who return damaged equipment, will incur a fee of up to $400.00 to cover replacement of lost/damaged items. Borrowers with fees assessed against them are ineligible to borrow additional equipment until all fines are paid.
- 1 pair skis, 1 ski strap, 1 pair boots, 1 pair poles, 1 pair gaiters, 1 headlamp
- 1 pair snowshoes, 1 pair poles, 1 pair gaiters, 1 headlamp
- 1 GPS unit, 1 pair gaiters, 1 headlamp
|Part or all of a ski||5$/day after free loan period|
|Part or all of a snowshoe||5$/day after free loan period|
|Part or all of a GPS||5$/day after free loan period|
|Equipment Borrowed||Free until:|
|Anytime Monday||8:45 pm on Wednesday|
|Anytime Tuesday||8:45 pm on Thursday|
|Anytime Wednesday||8:45 pm on Friday|
|Anytime Thursday||8:45 pm on Saturday|
|Anytime Friday||8:45 pm on Sunday|
|Anytime Saturday||8:45 pm on Monday|
|Anytime Sunday||8:45 pm on Tuesday|
Health & Fitness Center Coordinator
- Kayla grew up In NE Georgia where she met and married her husband of 4 years. Â Kaylaâ€™s husband joined the Coast Guard and they left the south to enjoy the coastal life. After a brief period in Corpus Christi, TX they were offered the opportunity to come to Alaska. Excited to start a new adventure in the last frontier, she and her husband moved to Valdez.
Kayla has a passion for living a healthy lifestyle. She believes that fitness is necessary for not only physical health, but mental as well. Since moving to Alaska, Kayla has enjoyed the many outdoor recreational activities Valdez has to offer. Hiking, biking and skiing have become some of her favorite alternatives to the gym. Besides working out Kayla enjoys DIY projects, a good book and road trips.
Her love for fitness and her background in the beauty industry has Â motivated Kayla to help others feel good through exercise. She strives to create a positive, learning environment where anyone can achieve their fitness goals.
- Sarah Histand is teachingÂ group fitness classes. Sarah believes that fitness can be fun and that we are often capable of more than we realize. She brings this passion and excitement for possibility to her classes and her work at the Health & Fitness Center.
Sarah is a lifelong Alaskan, having grown up in Soldotna and worked around the state before moving to Valdez in 2013. She is a wilderness adventurer, a yoga junkie, and a bookworm. She loves Valdez for its outdoor recreation access, wild weather, and supportive community. Sarah has a Masterâ€™s degree in Social Work, is the Chair of the Sound Wellness Alliance Network (SWAN), and an AFAA certified Personal Trainer. She is also a certified Tabata Bootcamp Instructor, PiYoTM Instructor, SpinningÂ® Instructor and a Wilderness First Responder.
- Donna Lane leads two classes at the Health & Fitness Center: Bodies in Tune and Longevity Stick Art. Leading these classes allows her the fun of encouraging others to work out and also keep herself active. She enjoys the social aspect of exercising with friends as well as the physical and mental benefits. Certified in Longevity Stick Art, she is currently studying to become a certified AFAA Group Fitness Exercise leader.
Born in New York City and raised in a suburb, Donna moved to Texas to attend college where she received a BA in Architecture. She has worked as an architect in a variety of position ranging from historic building researcher, landscape architect, and state park planner. She has lived in Alaska for more than 30 years including 22 years living aboard a sailboat. Donna feels quite lucky to have lived in three such different locations. She enjoys biking, gardening, community volunteering, reading and being fit.
- Amber Mehlberg is a Certified Personal Trainer at the Health & Fitness Center and also teaches group fitness classes. She grew up in Alaska and now lives in Valdez with her husband and two children. Amberâ€™s personal experience of lifestyle change through fitness helps her approach her work as a trainer at the Health & Fitness Center with understanding and compassion. A couple years after having her youngest child in 2007, Amber found herself still struggling to lose the “baby weight”. When she tipped the scale over 180 lbs. and tired of being out of shape and feeling unhealthy, she decide to make a choice for change and began running and exercising and making good food choices. Loosing over 50 lbs and becoming healthy empowered her to take charge of her life and go after her goals. She wanted to become a Personal Trainer to teach other people that good fitness is attainable and empower them to go after what they want and succeed. She believes that there is nothing you can’t achieve if you believe in yourself and are willing to work hard and never give up.
- Michelle Worby is a Yoga Instructor at Health & Fitness Center. She graduated from Adrienne Reed Power Yoga School with certifications in Power Forms of yoga including Flow, Yin, and Restorative.
Michelle moved to Valdez in March, 2014 from Palatine, Illinois where she owned her own studio for over four years. Michelleâ€™s love for yoga started in 1991 after she experienced some challenging health issues. Yoga helped her move through these health issues and toward a better quality of life. After personally experiencing how transformative yoga can be, Michelle became a teacher to share with others what yoga had given her. Michelle gets so excited to teach each class and help students feel the best they can. Her enthusiasm is contagious. Michelle says, â€śI just love yoga and seeing the progress of students as they grow in their own yoga practice.â€ť
The Health and Fitness Center for PWSC Students
The Health & Fitness Center is pleased to support PWSC students in their health and wellness endeavors. Our facility is conveniently located on campus and is within a few minutesâ€™ walk from the PWSC Student Housing complex. Health & Fitness Center staff are here to help students work toward their fitness goals and connect with the Valdez community in the process.
We offer PWSC students taking at least six (6) PWSC credit hours a steep discount on their program cost. Instead of paying $200 for a six-month program, PWSC students pay only $25! Health & Fitness Center Multi-Class Program includes unlimited use of the facility during open hours and a large variety of free group fitness classes each week. To qualify for this reduced-cost student program, fill out the Student Multi-Class Program Application and get it verified by the friendly staff in Student Services. Completed forms can be brought to the Health & Fitness Center, where we will set up the new program.
The Health & Fitness Center also supports our students by hiring student employees to work as front desk attendants each semester. The front desk attendant positions are active and diverse, with a typical shift including a mix of customer service, cleaning, outdoor equipment management, and interacting with gym participants. Interested applicants should contact the Health & Fitness Center at email@example.com as early as possible, as these jobs go quickly.