Application Process and Requirements – Apply for Admission
No out-of-state tuition!
Prince William Sound College is a community campus of the University of Alaska Anchorage (UAA), and shares the UAA mission of providing open access to higher education for all students.
Applying for admission is your first step in becoming a college student, and the admission office at Prince William Sound College is here to help. Contact us for assistance with application requirements, Alaska residency, Advanced Placements credits, postponing your degree or changing your major.
If you are pursuing a degree program offered by the University of Alaska (UAA) Anchorage campus or another UA campus, you do not need to reapply to a Prince William Sound College degree program to attend classes at Prince William Sound College. Students admitted to other UA campuses are welcome to enroll in classes at Prince William Sound College.
Apply for Admission
Concurrent Enrollment at PWSC
Concurrent Enrollment Steps for Students and Parents
Prince William Sound College collaborates with many school districts throughout Alaska to offer concurrent enrollment courses to high school-level students. There are many benefits to taking concurrent enrollment courses; some students graduate with their high school diploma, as well as an Associate of Arts degree simultaneously. Other students take a few concurrent enrollment classes, such as Math and English, which can then be applied toward a degree at PWSC or transferred to another college or university.
Concurrent enrollment classes can be a challenging and enriching way to reach your educational goals. However, there are important issues you should be aware of:
- Attending concurrent enrollment classes establishes an official PWSC transcript and permanent academic record which will follow a student through their academic career. Their performance may impact future admission, financial aid eligibility and/or graduation ability.
- Students will be held to PWSC’s policies, procedures, and code of conduct. The college will not act in a supervisory role.
- Adult themes and diverse perspectives are essential to college materials and discourse. Students should be prepared to participate in the same course content as their college peers.
- A secondary student must maintain a “C” or higher in each concurrent enrollment class in order to continue taking PWSC concurrent enrollment courses.
Once students and/or guardians have decided to pursue concurrent enrollment, the student(s) must complete Accuplacer placement testing to determine course eligibility. Students under the age of 18 must also obtain parental permission to enroll.
The Concurrent Enrollment Packet below must be completed by the student, parent(s), and school. Please see the current class schedule for Concurrent Enrollment offerings and tuition.
All completed forms and payment must be sent together to:Prince William Sound College, P.O. Box 97, Valdez, AK 99686
|Secondary Student Packet|
Secondary Student Enrollment Packet (2.5 MiB)
If you have additional questions regarding any or the paperwork, tuition and fees, policies, or schedule please contact your PWSC Concurrent Enrollment Campus:
303 Lowe Street
Valdez, AK 99686
|Cordova Extension Center|
Cordova High School
100 Fisherman Way
Cordova, AK 99574
|Copper Basin Extension Center|
200 Ridley Circle
Glennallen, AK 99588
Request More Information
Fill out this form, and an admission counselor will respond shortly.
Schedule a Campus Visit
Want to get a closer look? Visit our campus; meet the staff, faculty, and some of our current students!
During a PWSC campus tour, you will get a tour of our campus and residence halls, time to sit-in on a class relating to your chosen program of study, an opportunity to meet with an advisor to review your program of study, and a chance to meet our Student Affairs staff to answer any other questions you may have.
Want to see what a night in the residence halls is like? No problem! We will arrange for a current student to host you for the night; you will gain the first hand experience of living in the residence halls and the opportunity to meet with and talk to other current students. We are happy to reserve a night in the residence halls for you but please mention it when scheduling your visit so we can guarantee a host.
Campus visits can be scheduled for any time from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. Please be aware that if you schedule a Friday tour, there are no Friday classes at PWSC so you won’t get to sit-in on a class but you may still be able to meet with a professor given prior notice.
Traveling to Alaska can be tricky; here are a few tidbits that may help:
- Weather changes in Alaska frequently, be prepared for rain, snow, or sunshine. Layers are always recommended as well as an umbrella and comfortable shoes.
- Summer is the most popular time to come but to catch school in session we recommend you come in fall, spring, or winter for the adventurous.
- The drive from Anchorage to Valdez is 5.5 hours or you can fly in 40 minutes.
To schedule your campus visit, contact an admissions counselors at email@example.com or call 907-834-1600.
If you are a High School Counselor: come visit our campus and enjoy two nights of free lodging!
Haven’t been to Valdez and Prince William Sound College before, now is the best time to learn why we’re a great option for your students!
Seeing PWSC first-hand is the best way to do this. That’s why we’re offering you a complimentary two night stay in our on-campus apartments, anytime between March 1 and August 20, 2016, pending availability. Come this spring to enjoy our cross-country ski trails and backcountry skiing, or during the summer for hiking, fishing, and sightseeing around Prince William Sound.
Valdez is the perfect mix of Alaskan accessibility: incredible access to mountains and ocean, but still on the road system. For our students, PWSC is the perfect place to earn their associate’s degree, or save on tuition while they work towards a bachelor’s. There are many advantages to studying on a community college campus, and here are a few that set PWSC above the rest:
- Lowest in-state tuition: For the upcoming 15-16 academic year, PWSC charges only $157 per credit, lower than the resident rates at UAA, UAF, UAS, KPC, and Mat-Su College!
- On-campus housing: PWSC is one of the few community colleges with on-campus accommodations. Our apartment style housing is a few blocks from campus, and were completely renovated in 2012. Take a tour of our campus, including housing, here!
- Unique programs: Students can enroll in one of our two-year associate’s degrees or certificate programs unique to our campus, including our successful Millwright AAS and Outdoor Leadership AAS programs.
If you come to Valdez, you are welcome to bring your spouse, kids, partner, or best friend. Whether you fly, drive, or take the ferry to Valdez, transportation is up to you. We hope you take advantage of this opportunity to explore another part of Alaska and see if PWSC is a good fit for your students. We only ask one thing: that you stop by the campus to get to know the Student Services team, and participate in a campus tour. The rest of the trip to Valdez is yours to enjoy!
We hope to see you in Valdez this year, and as you meet with your students to discuss their academic aspirations, please keep PWSC in mind.
If you are interested in coming to Valdez, or if you would like more information about PWSC, please call us at (907) 834-1600 or email firstname.lastname@example.org